Job Description and Responsibilities
The North Carolina Sheriffs’ Association is a non-profit organization that represents the 100 Sheriffs of North Carolina and their personnel. We are looking for a team member who is very detail-oriented and who can multi-task in a very fast paced, busy office. We are also looking for someone with a sincere commitment to excellence and the success of the Association, as well as respect for the constitutional Office of Sheriff and the persons holding the Office.
The Coordinator – Research is self-sufficient, thorough and will perform detailed criminal justice/law enforcement research, analyze the gathered data, and present the findings to management. The Coordinator – Research will play a vital role in sourcing and extracting valuable information to benefit the Association and the Office of Sheriff. This position reports to the Manager – Communications.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Possessing excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and planning skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively and independently with a willingness to take initiative on a project.
- The ability to multitask and sometimes perform assigned research quickly, but accurately.
- Working with a supervisor and staff to develop organization research priorities for new projects and initiatives.
- Support projects managed by staff which includes a diverse group of participants such as sheriffs, law enforcement agency heads, state law enforcement leaders, legislators, prosecutors, judges, etc.
- Cultivate partnerships and collaborations with outside stakeholders, researchers, and state as well as federal data collection centers and repositories such as the Government Data Analytics Center, The School of Government, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Standards Division, the NC Criminal Justice Standards Division, the United States Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as well as others.
- Analyze and interpret patterns and trends from criminal justice data sources, draw inferences and conclusions as well as identify flaws in criminal justice data collection analysis.
- Document, report and present research findings to management in easily understandable written memoranda or reports, PowerPoint presentations, spreadsheets, graphs, or short summaries.
- Handle necessary administrative paperwork and other documentation needed for project validation and research quality control.
- Anticipate research issues and promptly resolve them.
- Using data, identify potential areas for targeted improvement.
- Write proposals and deliver presentations when required.
- Prepare and deliver frequent project updates to supervisor.
- Frequently self-audit work and check data for errors and inconsistencies.
- Organize and maintain research databases.
- Follow a strict code of ethics and always protect any confidential information.
- Provide support on other duties as requested.
- Assist co-workers as necessary and perform any additional duties as assigned.
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience in the fields of criminology, criminal justice, political science, public policy, or a related field.
- 3 years working in criminal justice or law enforcement field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to devise and execute original, creative, and innovative ideas.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and handle multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
- Effective communicator, both orally and written.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Knowledge of research methodologies and techniques.
- Skilled in planning, organizing, problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to work within a team and follow the instructions of senior leadership.
- Experience using statistical analysis software.
- Strong statistical and mathematical aptitude.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Always perform objective and ethical research.
- Analysis experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The work is typically performed in an office while sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, weighing up to 20 pounds.
For immediate consideration: Please email your cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org – No telephone calls please!
Your email MUST specify that you are applying for the Coordinator – Research position, as we are currently advertising for other positions as well.
Upon request, inquiries will be kept confidential.