The North Carolina Sheriffs’ Association (NCSA) Specialty License Plate is now available through the DMV. These specialty license plates are available for any passenger vehicle registered in North Carolina. You may obtain one by:
- Visiting your local License Plate Agency;
- Visiting the Special License Plate Unit at the DMV Headquarters Building in Rocky Mount;
- Mailing your request to NCDMV, Special License Plate Unit, 3155 MSC, Raleigh, NC 27697;
- Visiting the Personalized & Specialized Plate section on DMV’s website.
Any payments submitted by check or money order should be made payable to NCDMV and should be included with each application.
The NCSA Specialty License Plate program is an important tool in the Association’s fundraising efforts, with twenty dollars from every plate sold being used to support the critical training and services we provide to all sheriffs and their personnel. The money raised through this program will help fund Association initiatives such as the criminal justice scholarships offered to students in the University of North Carolina System or in one of the North Carolina Independent Colleges or Universities, the Sheriffs’ Leadership Institute, and training on sex offender registration and courthouse security, among other topics.
The NCSA and all 100 sheriffs would like to sincerely thank you for your application for an NCSA Specialty License Plate. If you have any specific questions about your application, please call the Special License Plate Unit of the DMV directly at (919) 615-8450.
- The plates will be mailed to applicants whose current plate is not expiring within the next 90 days and do not have any “stops” on their vehicle record. Those who do not receive a plate will receive a letter from the NCDMV explaining what is needed in order for their specialty plate to be issued.
- The cost of the plate will be $30 for a non-personalized NCSA specialty license plate and $60 for a personalized NCSA specialty license plate.
- The specialty plate fee of $30 for a NCSA plate and $60 for a personalized NCSA plate is due annually in addition to your regular license fee. $10 of this non-personalized plate fee is charged by the NCDMV. The remaining $20 will be donated to the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Association to help with the critical education and training provided to all North Carolina Sheriffs’ Offices, and is tax deductible.
If you have any questions please contact Jason Bennett, NCSA Director of Business Development, at (919) 459-8195 or firstname.lastname@example.org.